Part I: Reading
>> Baking cookies, cakes, and even pies is a fun pastime for many people as long as you know what you are doing. Here are a few baking tips:
- Read the recipe very carefully to find out if you have all of the ingredients before you start.
- Measure all of the ingredients carefully. Don't use guesswork.
- Preheat the oven to the proper temperature and make sure the oven shelves are at the correct height.
- Mix your ingredients properly. Don't overmix your recipe.
- Use a cooking timer to keep track of how long your cake or other item has been in the oven.
- Let your cake or other item cool according to instructions before serving it.
Part II: Discussion
What kinds of items do people often bake within your circle of family and friends? What is one traditional food that you would bake for an international visitor to introduce him or her to your country's cuisine?
Part III: Online Investigation
You are planning to celebrate the birthday of a close friend, and you are thinking about baking a cake. Find a recipe on the Internet for a delicious, and perhaps, unusual cake recipe. Share your recipe with a group of students and then vote on the one you would prepare.